30 July 2013

Christian radio.


I’m eating vanilla ice cream at our makeshift table (a.k.a., two TV trays pushed together) because my man and I frustrated each other. And I’m trying to practice self-grace, the hardest kind, by gently reminding myself that the way to freedom was always in the other direction and that Jesus would like to take me back there. That’s why I listen to Christian radio.

It’s certainly not because I like the music. In fact, I have said for years that mainstream Christian music has a Sound – an overly bright, sticky, bubble-gum Sound – that makes my ears cry. Some exceptions apply, like Chris Tomlin and CeCe Winans. But in general, out of every ten songs played on Christian radio, I like maybe two. Sometimes fewer. Yet, I favor Christian stations these days because I find it makes it easier to hear Jesus. On nights like tonight when I’m frustrated, I’ll remember a scripture read over the airwaves – Proverbs 15:1 in this case – and hear Jesus remind me that in dealing with each other, love and peace are the more excellent way. Or when I’m at Walmart, the most mundane of places, I’ll feel like I didn’t grab enough bananas and granola bars, and then I’m not surprised when I see someone in the parking lot who needs the extras.

I don’t believe there’s anything wrong with listening to non-Christian music. More of my music library fits that category than the former. But when I turn on Christian radio, it’s just one more outlet where my mind can breathe in the power of Gods Word. It opens one more method of communication between my heart and the voice of Christ. When I’m focused on those messages, his instruction and healing reverberate in my mind even when I’m not thinking about it. It really does help keep me focused on my Jesus. If I need to sacrifice a little Usher for that, it’s worth the trade to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment